The Thuraya XT-Hotspot is a Wi-Fi router that uses the GmPRS or Circuit-switched data (CSD) connection of the Thuraya XT, XT-PRO and XT-PRO DUAL for quick and secure satellite Internet connectivity.
For XT-Hotspots to be used only with XTs having IMEIs between 356978 02 100001 and 356978 02 199999:
- The XT-Hotspot is compatible with these XTs out of the box. No upgrade required.
For XT-Hotspots to be used with all Thuraya XTs, including those having IMEIs greater than 356978 02 200001 as well as all XT-PROs and XT-PRO DUALs:
If your unit is not already upgraded with the latest firmware, the XT-Hotspot will need to be upgraded according to the following process (please note - once the below process has been completed, the upgraded XT-Hotspot will work with all Thuraya XTs, XT-PROs, and XT-PRO DUALs regardless of the IMEI number):
Before starting the upgrade, please take note of the following precautions:
- Ensure that the XT-Hotspot is powered on and plugged into a power source with the DC adapter.
- Ensure that there is nothing connected to the USB port of the XT-Hotspot at the time of the upgrade (disconnect the XT, XT-PRO or XT-PRO DUAL).
- Only use the Ethernet (LAN) port of the XT-Hotspot to connect to the PC and do the firmware upgrade.
- Ensure your PC is in DHCP mode (this is the default mode).
Download the appropriate ZIP file according to your XT-Hotspot hardware version. There are two types of XT-Hotspot hardware. Please make sure to only use the correct version of firmware with the version of XT-Hotspot hardware otherwise the hotspot may be permanently damaged.
Type 1: TL-MR3040 v1 (there is no 3G switch on the device)
Please use firmware XT-Hotspot V1 without 3G
Type 2: TL-MR3040 v2 (it has a 3G switch on the side opposite from the power switch)
Please use firmware XT-Hotspot V2 with 3G
After downloading and unzipping the appropriate firmware file:
- Connect the XT-Hotspot to the PC using an Ethernet cable and access the web interface of the XT-Hotspot by going to any Internet browser and entering 192.168.1.1 in the address bar.
- Fill in the username and password:
- Go to System and select “Backup/ Flash Firmware”.
- Go to the “Flash new firmware image” section at the bottom.
- Uncheck the “Keep settings” tab.
- Click “Choose File”
- Select the unzipped firmware file on your PC.
- Click “Flash Image”.
- On the next screen verify that the Checksum is:
1a88ac0f313a5492cf69ddcd3916de0e (XT-Hotspot V1 without 3G)
1f0940226eb5b79d36b416d066f70217 (XT-Hotspot V2 with 3G)
- If everything is ok and the Checksum matches, click “Proceed”.
- Wait for 5 to 10 minutes - don't disconnect the power during this process.
- Once finished, connect to the XT, XT-PRO or XT-PRO DUAL and see if the GmPRS connection comes up.
- Power off the XT-Hotspot and turn it back on (after waiting for at least 10 minutes) to verify that the connection comes up and the LED starts blinking. If it doesn't then take the USB cable out and reconnect it back to the XT-Hotspot.
- Use the XT-Hotspot with the GmPRS connection of any Thuraya XT, XT-PRO or XT-PRO DUAL
To use with Circuit-switched data:
- The default mode of the XT-Hotspot is GmPRS
- To change to Circuit-switched data, connect the XT-Hotspot to a PC using an Ethernet cable. (Make sure the Thuraya phone is no longer connected to the XT-Hotspot)
- Enter 192.168.1.1 in the address bar of any Internet browser.
- Fill in the username and password as below:
- Go to system, select Data mode as “Circuit-switched” and then click on Save & Apply.
- Power cycle the XT-Hotspot.
- Reconnect the Thuraya phone with the XT-Hotspot to use with Circuit-switched data.
- After one or two minutes, you will see 1722 being dialed on the handset, after which you will be connected to an active Circuit-switched data session.